Friday, February 7, 2014

An L.A. Must Visit: Castaway

Ever since I heard from Auntie L that Castaway is a great restaurant to visit, I have been hoping to dine there. It's slightly far and I heard that it's pricey too. But reading the reviews and seeing the photos made me want to visit it more. It somehow reminded me of how much I wanted to go to Sonya's Garden and Vigan. Luckily, I managed to have dinner there a few days before my flight back to Manila.

Hello, Castaway!
The place has a relaxed ambiance and doesn't have this snotty feel at all which I get when I visit classy restaurants. It feels more like a guest house with rather tropical decor.
The menu is not as extensive as I thought but all sound so mouthwatering. We ended up ordering Castaway Crab Cakes ($13), Roast Prime Rib of Beef ($32), and Bone-In Rib Eye ($38). As for drinks, we had a glass of Virgin Strawberry Daiquiri and Lemonade.
 
The crab cake was served quickly. It even arrived before the wait basket of fresh bread. It was quite savory and a pleasant appetizer. The texture was smooth and crunchy. The sauce too was a combination of tangy and salty. I truly enjoyed it.
 
The main dishes took a long time to be served though. Apparently, there was a problem with our side dishes... potatoes. They ran out of potatoes. Thus the over half an hour wait.

 Our food arrived rather lukewarm but since it was getting late, we didn't mind.
The prime rib was not cooked as well as I hoped for as it was bloodier than medium well. It also had a funny taste, or perhaps I'm comparing it with The House of Prime Rib which has excellent prime ribs! I ended up just eating less than half and munched on the mashed potatoes instead.
N's dish was better. I got a bit of it and it was yummy. Slightly on the tough side but it was peppered well. 

As much as we wanted to have desserts, it was getting late and we had to head home soon. So, probably next time. 
Before leaving, we took photos of the city. It wasn't as breathtaking as I thought it would be. I heard that it's better to take pictures when the sun's out. Perhaps that's why their brunch is popular. I'll definitely be back for more photos. 

Overall, it was a pleasant dinner. Great ambiance, kind servers. It was also a good place for a nice talk. We also got a souvenir photo for free!
Castaway is located at 1250 E Harvard Road, Burbank, CA 91501, USA. For reservation, contact +1 818 848 6691.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments or other recommendations? :)