Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Restaurant Discovery: Tim Ho Wan

When there’s a hype, I get curious. When there’s a line, my curiosity disappears (unless I really, really want to try it). Tim Ho Wan has been one of the most anticipated restaurants this year. The line seems to be longer than when you process your NBI clearance. As much as I would love to try its famous pork buns, I always think of the long line and I’m not confident my tummy will like the wait as I am always hungry when I pass by Tim Ho Wan. I thought that the line would eventually disappear after a few weeks but it’s a totally different case for this place. Luckily though, grumpy W was in a good mood and lined up while I was busy looking for a paper bag to pack his late birthday gift. So…

Hello, Tim Ho Wan.
It was almost our turn when I arrived so I didn’t have to do the Trip to Jerusalem game (where you move seats every time someone gets a table) that long.

The menu is very straightforward. There are the famous pork buns, dumplings, a few rice toppings, and congee. They also have barley which happens to be one of my favorite drinks (thanks to Toastbox). W pretty much chose what we’ll eat. I just added two. We ended up with the following dishes: Pork Buns (PHP145/ 3 pieces), Rice with Beef and Fried Egg (PHP180), Pork Dumplings (PHP150), Prawn Dumplings (PHP160), Spinach Dumpling with Shrimp (PHP120), Steamed Egg Cake (PHP85), Vermicelli Roll with Shrimp (PHP190), and Mango Pomelo Sago (PHP90)
First to arrive was the plate of Pork Buns. It was served warm and I had pretty high expectations as people line up and wait to order this.
It was good. Not great but good. It tasted like your typical asado though this one had a stronger flavor. I also enjoyed the baked bun. I just find it slightly messy to eat. 
Next served was the Rice with Beef and Fried Egg which was rather soupy. It was also a bit bland for me.
 
The Pork Dumpling or siomai, Prawn Dumpling or hakaw and Spinach Dumpling with Shrimp were your usual dumplings. I enjoyed the spinach dumpling the most as I loooove spinach. (Not sure if it's a Popeye influence.)
The Steamed Egg Cake tasted like the local delicacy of Biñan, Laguna, the Puto Biñan. It made me crave for salted eggs and cheese.
Sadly, I forgot the taste of the vermicelli roll with shrimp so it must have been forgettable.  
The Mango Pomelo Sago was not as sweet as I thought. I guess the pomelo wasn't that sweet though there were only bits of it in the dessert. I just wish that they served it cooler.

Overall, I'd go back for the pork buns but that's about it. Good thing I didn't line up. :D

Tim Ho Wan is located at the Ground Floor, Fashion Hall, SM Megamall, Mandaluyong City

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments or other recommendations? :)