Thursday, March 9, 2017

First Bite: New Kamameshi House

Japanese restaurants never fail to charm me like light to fly. I’d go to one for lunch or dinner if I have the chance to do so. And when I spotted New Kamameshi House during one of our Pokemon Go runs, R already knew where we were going to have dinner. 

Hello, New Kamameshi House.
I heard that this Japanese restaurant is one of the pioneers in Quezon Memorial Circle. With it having several years of being in business, my expectation from this place went up a bit. 
There were not a lot of people when we dropped by around 7:30 pm on a Sunday night. In fact, there were only 2 other tables occupied then. 
We were quickly assisted by one of the staff who patiently waited till we decided on getting Tori Kamameshi (PHP165), Uni Temaki Sushi (PHP163), Ebi Tempura Meal (PHP220) and Tempura Maki (PHP206). 
While waiting for our food, we were served some complimentary appetizers and house tea. 
I must be famished as I finished mine in less than 2 minutes. (Well, I also happen to be a sucker for bean sprouts.)
Soon, a lovely lone Uni Temaki Sushi was served and it tasted just as good as how it looks. I liked that Kamameshi House was generous with its uni. Even my last bite had sea urchin! The rice used was great too and not the paste-like type some Japanese fast food chains use. 
R’s Tempura Maki was served next and the ones without Japanese mayo were on the bland side so make sure you spread that eggy goodness on all the rolls. 
The Ebi Tempura Meal which was composed of two prawn tempura, two veggie tempura and misoshiru (soy bean based) soup was decent. I was trying to figure out if it was value for money or not. But it might seem to be a bit on the pricy side given that you only get two small ebi tempura while other restaurants offer a bit more at that price. However, if you are particular with your rice, Kamameshi House offers better quality carbs to pair your tempura with. 
My Tori Kamameshi was served last and I was intrigued with the traditional rice cooker looking container of my chicken rice. 
Apparently, this is how kamameshi rice is prepared. It is cooked in an iron pot called kama along with other ingredients ranging from meat, seafood and vegetables. And by cooking rice on an iron pot, you can’t avoid having slightly burnt rice at the bottom. But this, according to Wikipedia, is the best part of the meal as it gives a desirable flavor to the dish while adding texture as well. 
My Tori Kamameshi had an enjoyable light taste. The chicken bits were succulent and were made even better with the light soy broth. The rice was great too and true to what Wikipedia claims, the burnt part was actually the best part for me as it added crunch to the dish. 
Overall, it was a pleasant dinner and I would love to go back and try the other kamameshi dishes. 

New Kamameshi House is located at Quezon Memorial Circle, Elliptical Road, Diliman, Quezon City.

New Kamameshi House Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments or other recommendations? :)