Saturday, February 6, 2016

Love at First Bite: Pound by Todd English

There's a new burger joint in town and it sure knows how to get attention. Presenting #paywhatyouwant.Yes, you read it right. The new burger place is offering most of its burgers (except for the Pound Burger priced at PHP999) at any price that you are willing to pay for a limited time. And if you're curious which burger place I'm talking about, it's Todd English's baby, Pound.

Hello, Pound!
I was not aware of Todd English's new restaurant till I saw a post on Instagram promoting it's Pay What You Want promo. I giddily told my officemates about it and asked if anyone would be interested to visit the place with me. (Two officemates said yes but they had to leave before I managed to get a table. But I'll get there in a while.)

The talked about promo of Pound has been on my mind since lunch and I was so excited to head to the place and pay for my meal at a really friendly price. But I was not the only one who saw the Instagram post as there were a lot of people waiting outside when we arrived at 6:25 PM.
I looked for the hostess right away and I was horrified by the long list of diners waiting to be served. One even had a party of 16 guests! But since I wanted to take advantage of the really attractive promo, I gave in and had my name listed. I was 28th. 

*tick tock tick tock* 

Eventually, I was left all alone come 7:15 PM as my officemates had other plans. And I was still at #23. To entertain myself, I went to the supermarket for some cold air and escape from the pesky mosquitoes. But alas, when I got back, I was at #19.
I was starting to get impatient as it was already an hour wait. I was debating with myself if I should wait more or not as I was turning hangry. But I opted to wait. And wait. And oh, Krispy Kreme. *munch* And wait some more.
After 2 hours and 15 minutes, I finally heard name and I got a table... for one. (Alone but not lonely. :D)
The place has a Your Local kind of vibe and Todd English darkness touch. It was really dark and I had a hard time reading the menu! I was also seated closest to the A/C and when the diners beside me complained on how cold it was, the server adjusted it and the cold breeze went straight towards me! Brrrr. Minus points! (It kind of made me want to sing Celine Dion's song Alone.)
To take advantage of the promo, I went for the most expensive burger included in the promo which is Amsterdam Burger (PHP280). I wanted to go for the bacon and egg sliders but figured that this might be bigger. I didn't go for any beverage anymore as they were only offering sodas and iced tea
Despite the crowd, service was fast and I got my burger in less than 15 minutes. 

The house ground beef patty was delightfully juicy and it was complemented well by the slightly salty peppered pastrami. I loved the crunchy edges of the pastrami slices. I didn't get any taste of the sauerkraut though. 
I guess the beef, pastrami and T.E. sauce were too flavorful and drowned the tart of the sauerkraut. I also did not get a taste of the mustard and gruyere though I saw it on the burger. The toasted homemade brioche bun was really good and I loved how it was branded with a pound sign. Cute!
I was starting to feel guilty about the thought of giving less than what the burger's worth but when I had to ask for my bill four times while shivering because of that darn A/C they could not even control because it was brilliantly caged for aesthetic purposes, I didn't feel so bad any more. 
But 4 stars for the scrumptious burger. I'll be back to try the other dishes such asw  and that Pound Burger that has FOIE GRAS and promise to pay full price. <3
If you want to avail of the Pay What You Want promo, visit them from 11 am to 2 pm or from 6 pm to 9 pm from today to February 10. Regular prices apply starting February 11.

Pound is located at B3, Bonifacio High Street, 11th Avenue corner 28th St., Bonifacio Global City, Taguig. 

Pound by Todd English Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments or other recommendations? :)