Tuesday, January 26, 2016

First Bite: Backyard Kitchen+Brew

I still remember the first time I visited Backyard. We only ordered its famous butter beer since we saving space for our Mecha Uma tasting menu dinner. And since there are just too many new restaurants here and there, I didn't get to visit Backyard again till last week. Well, we didn't really plan to visit Backyard but since we failed (once again) to have lunch at Asakusa, we ended up stuck between Backyard and Burger Pub. Thinking that I just recently blogged about the latter, I convinced R that we go for Chef Ed Bugia's restaurant. 
Hello, Backyard Kitchen + Brew
This time around, we ordered non-alcoholic drinks Lemonade (PHP65) and Home Brewed Iced Tea (PHP85). For our hot meals, we went for Slow Roasted Pork Belly (PHP275) and Backyard Burger (PHP285).
First served were our drinks and both were very refreshing. The lemonade was delightfully tangy while the iced tea had a nice citrusy flavor with a tinge of honey. Yum!
In less than 10 minutes, the Slow Roasted Pork Belly was served. Now, that's fast service! 
As one of Backyard's specialties or recommended dishes, it did not fail in the taste department. I truly enjoyed the rich flavor of the pork belly. Succulent meat covered in a sweet and mildly spicy sauce. 
In order to offset its overwhelming taste, I ate some of the crunchy and slightly tarty coleslaw and delightfully cheesy mac and cheese after each bite of the pork belly. It was a harmonious dance of flavors! And the good thing about this affordable dish was its generous serving size! 

Speaking of sharing, the Backyard burger is also good for sharing. The mere sight of the thick patty made me gulp and think if we could finish it. 
We started with the potato chips drizzled with cheese powder. (To be honest, that was the reason why we ordered it.) The potato chips were slightly chewy so after much thought, it might actually be cassava and not potato chips

As for the burger, I was expecting it to be really good as Chef Ed Bugia's The Burger Project which made me fall in love at first bite. Sadly, I could not say the same with this one. Though the patty was juicy and flavorful, it had a lot of chewy or tough bits of meat making the whole eating experience less enjoyable.

Overall, it was still a good dining experience. I loved my Slow Roasted Pork Belly and I would love to order it again. And perhaps with a Pizzookie!

Backyard Kitchen+Brew is located at Ground Floor, RS 108, The Grove by Rockwell, E. Rodriguez Jr. Avenue, Pasig City.

 Backyard Kitchen + Brew Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments or other recommendations? :)