Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Love at First Sip: Kissako Uji Matcha Café

Friday nights are meant for munching and discovering new food. I am not so fond of eating the same food twice as there are just so many restaurants to visit and so many dishes to try. Just thinking about it makes me so giddy.

Last Friday, I made an 8 p.m. reservation for three at Locavore thinking that my sister’s last class ends late. But we all got together at 6:30. So to kill time, I asked them if we could visit the new Japanese tea and coffee shop I spotted a few weeks ago.

Hello, Kissako!
The place is quite small and could only accommodate perhaps 5-6 groups at a time. Choices are also limited making it easier for me choose. I went with Strawberry Shortcake (PHP170), Chocolate Mousse (PHP170) and Horiguchi Coffee (PHP130) in medium roast.
The cakes arrived in cute dark colored clay plates. I am already in love without even tasting the cake yet.
The strawberry shortcake had a light flavor yet you could definitely taste the strawberry. I loved the soft and delicate chiffon and the strawberry jelly in between. Delightful!
The chocolate mousse is something kids would love! Though it was not as sweet as the usual (as Japanese cakes tend to have lighter taste compared to local brands like Goldilocks and Red Ribbon) cakes. It has the rich and smooth chocolatey taste. Also, the crunchy base was a nice touch.
As much as I love coffee, I’m also a creamer and sugar lover. Someone told me before that coffee is meant to be enjoyed as is. You cannot fully appreciate the fragrance and taste of the coffee beans if you cover it with creamer and sugar. It actually makes sense but at times, the brew is just too bitter for me and makes me do the ugly face.
This one though was rather mild and went really well with my strawberry shortcake. I’d love to order another cup of this soon.
It was such a wonderful pre-dinner snack. I can’t wait to go back for more. I'll try the matcha cakes and cookies next time.

Kissako is located at Pioneer Center Supermarket, Pioneer St., Mandaluyong City.

Kissako Uji Matcha Cafe Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

2 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I'll definitely drop by there one of these days :)

    www.intransitph.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do try the strawberry shortcake! It's divine! <3

      Delete

Comments or other recommendations? :)