Friday, September 5, 2014

MUST WATCH: Kapeng Barako Club: Samahan ng mga Bitter

I used to believe in fairy tales. I thought that every girl has a destined prince charming waiting for her. I had hopes that one day, I would meet my “one true love” and that we’ll live happily ever after. Go blame Disney and all those chick flicks aired on TV. But as I grow older, I realize that we do not live in fairy tales. There won’t be animals helping us clean the house or an evil witch with a gorgeous apple that is more powerful than Benadryl. Then again, I still can’t help be optimistic with love. Heck, that’s 1/3 of my name!

I have always wanted to watch the Palanca Award-winning play Kapeng Barako Club: Samahan ng mga Bitter play for years but I just couldn’t find the time to watch it as work always gets in the way. Luckily, they staged it again this year and I got free tickets! (Thank you so much, J.)

It was staged last August 9 at Third Cup, a quaint coffee shop along Rosa Alvero St. (near Shakeys and McDonalds right across Ateneo). 
When my sister and I arrived, the place was packed with bloggers and friends from the media. After my sister and I ordered our drinks, we sat down and waited for the show to start.
While waiting, I was wondering where the stage was located. I sensed that the two ottoman chairs and small coffee table was the stage (simply because there was a tent card that says RESERVED) but I doubt that it will fit 6 characters. Apparently, the whole coffee shop was the whole stage. The cast members were situated amongst the audience. It was brilliant though it was slightly difficult to turn from time to time. Then again, all the laughter made me forget the inconvenience.
So what is the play all about? Obviously, it is about love and bitterness. The six characters have different experiences with love hence having different outlooks as well. Some of them are hopeful while some are downright bitter. But the funny thing is, even the bitter ones still believe in love. And I think that’s a great way to reflect reality. We all get hurt and reach a point to say that we no longer believe in the four-letter word. But the truth is, we all still hope to find that one person to mend our wounded hearts. (Dr. Love?)
It was a great mix of comedy, romance (especially for Joel and Anna), and a dose of reality. 

Join Masi, Eric, Marlowe, Shine, Steph, Anna, and Joel have coffee. Visit the Kapeng Barako Club: Samahan ng mga Bitter page for updates on their next shows.

Tickets are at PHP500 and it comes with one drink. Not bad for a fun-filled night.

-Gluttonshopper

All images are from the Facebook page of Kapeng Barako Club: Samahan ng mga Bitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments or other recommendations? :)