Monday, September 26, 2011

Pork Heaven: Don Day

My friend told me about this eat-all-you-can samgyeopsal (grilled pork belly) place a year ago but I never tried to visit the place because it was a bit too far from where I live. But for the past three weeks, I’ve been craving for this Korean dish and I know that I just have to give in.
It took me three rides before finally reaching this pork heaven but it was worth it. Don Day, a Korean restaurant in Malingap St., Quezon City is right across another noteworthy restaurant… Pino RestoBar but that’s another story.
Anyway… back to Don Day…
My friends and I were greeted by a whiteboard menu—stating its very limited options but you’ll surely leave with full tummies.
We decided to go with the samgyeopsal buffet for obvious reasons—we could eat anything on the buffet table plus unlimited supply of samgyeopsal.
There were several side dishes (which for most of us could be the actual lunch or dinner). My favorite, chap chae, was part of the buffet and it was quite good. It was not as flavorful as the others but for something included in a PHP299 buffet, it was not bad at all. I also liked the egg rolls and the stuffed chili.

Here's a quick tour to the buffet table:

As for the samgyeopsal, they only had one type of pork available then. Apparently, they used to offer three types, one of which was the marinated pork. Tsk.
There were various types of leaves as well. If you’re new to this type of dish, do try all types so that you’ll get to know which one you like best. :) (For those not familiar with how to eat samgyeopsal, you wrap the grilled meat—dipped in one or two [if you want] of the sauces offered plus kimchi on the lettuce and tada… Korean-style lumpia!)
For drinks, we didn’t bother ordering one as we planned to visit Moonleaf that same afternoon. Don’t worry with their house water. It’s filtered. I asked. :)
My plate of uhm... side dishes.
A friendly suggestion, do ask for warm water to aid digestion. Remember how Koreans eat their meat with soju? Well, it does help burn all those fat.
 
There were also some fruits on the buffet table though when I was about to get some, I was greeted by a lonesome tray of pineapples. Hey, fiber. That’ll do.
We managed to finish three plates. Far less compared to how much we can consume when we were in Korea. I wonder if soju has something to do with it or if it was because we used to eat just that (meaning no side dishes at all).
The server seemed to be a bit impatient with us (I guess) since she gave us our bill even though we didn’t ask for it yet. We were hoping that they will offer us some ice candy after giving us our bill but we didn’t get any. It must have just been a promo or something. *sigh*

With heavy tummies, we stood up and off to the next food stop.

Don Day is located at Malingap St., Teacher’s Village, Quezon City.

1 comment:

  1. Pano po pumunta dyan sa donday galing sa quezon ave station ng mrt? ^_^ Wala po akong kotse, at ayoko po sana magtaxi. Direction lang po ng kung ano ang sasakyan at san bababa. Salamat

    ReplyDelete

Comments or other recommendations? :)